INFORMATION HANDBOOK OF
POONA COLLEGE OF ARTS, SCIENCE AND COMMERCE.
(Refer to: Right to Information Act, 2005)
The Right to Information Act, 2005 sets out the practical regime of Right to Information for citizens to enable them to access the information under the control of public authority in order to promote transparency and accountability in the working of such authority.
Section 2(h) of the Act defines "public authority" as any authority or body or institution of self-governance established or constituted by or under the constitution or by law made by the Parliament or any state legislature or by notification issued by the appropriate government:
It includes body owned, controlled or substantially financed by the government.
In accordance with the provisions contained in section 2(j) of the Act, Right to Information means right to information accessible under this Act which is held by or under control of a public authority.
This Information Handbook will enable the citizens to obtain information as to the provisions contained in various rules and regulations governing the Poona College and related information.
This Information Handbook is divided into 17 manuals/sections. Each section deals with units of information as delineated under section 4 (1) (b).
Section 4 (1) (b) (i) / Manual – 1: Particulars of the organization, functions and duties
Aims and Objectives
The aim of the College is to provide access to quality higher education to its students.
- Poona College offers undergraduate and postgraduate education in humanities, social sciences and basic sciences in accordance with Savitribai Phule Pune University curricular, including sports and cultural activities.
- To serve as a light house amidst all shortcomings and setbacks by defying complacency, we endeavor.
- To impart education to students belonging to all strata of society irrespective of caste, gender, color, creed & religion.
- To uplift the deprived and academically weak students by empowering them with knowledge.
- To develop moral, ethical, social and aesthetic values amongst the students.
- To help equip and develop essential qualities to face the challenges posed by the turbulent currents of change.
- To inculcate respect for humanity and to fortify the ideals of perseverance, dedication, quality consciousness and excellence.
- To prepare citizens who could grow to be competent and significant contributors for the betterment of mankind through their profession.
The Poona College of Arts Science & commerce was founded in the year 1970 by the Anjuman Khairul Islam (A.K.I.)
Mumbai and is affiliated to the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (MSBSHSE) at the
Junior College level and to the Savitribai Phule Pune University at the Senior College level. In a short period of 44Years,
the College has grown into a full fledged degree college with P. G. centers in Electronics, Computer Science, Organic Chemistry,
Zoology, English, Economics, Urdu and Commerce. The College proudly boasts of having full fledged University Recognized Research
centers in Commerce, Chemistry & Economics with Research Guides in the these subjects. The college also imparts teaching for Vocational
course of Electronics and Information Technology at the Junior College level. The College has been accredited by NAAC and was awarded
'A' Grade in May 2004.
Poona College, Camp, Pune, Maharashtra-411001, India.
020 26454240 / 020 26446319
: The details of the Teaching Staff and College Telephone Directory are available on our website
Duties to be Performed to Achieve the Mission
Teaching, research, and conduct of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Details of Services Rendered
The details of services rendered may be viewed on our website. Some are briefly enumerated below:
- Teaching of courses at the PG and UG level.
- Conduct of in house and university examinations.
- Conduct of seminars, meetings, lectures, cultural events etc.
- Provision of sports facilities.
- First Aid services within the Campus.
- Facilities to conduct research in the subjects being taught.
Organization and Administrative Machinery
Governing Body, consisting of the following:-
- Ten members nominated by the AKI’s Foundation, one amongst them elected as Chairman and another one as General Secretary.
- Principal. The Governing Body appoints a full time principal on the recommendations of the Selection Committee constituted for the purpose, with the approval of the Executive Council Savitribai Phule Pune University.
- Vice-Principals are appointed by College Governing Body.
- Registrar appointed by the College Governing Body.
- Teaching staff and librarian, appointed by a duly constituted Selection Committee.
- Non-teaching staff appointed by a duly constituted Selection Committee.
- Each department has a teacher in charge (HOD), appointed by seniority through Governing Body.
The college has a staff council consists of four members that operates in accordance with University Ordinance.
- Three members of the teaching staff and one from non-teaching staff are elected by democratic way of election.
- The various committees are formed in order to conduct curricular and co-curricular activities.
- The meritorious student from each class is nominated as class-representative and four students among these are being elected in Students Council.
Citizens / Stakeholders /Public Interaction
This is encouraged and formally conducted during the Alumna Day and Annual Prize Distribution function day. Parents and members of the civil society are also free to meet the Principal/other college authorities by prior appointment any working day. The support, suggestions and cooperation of the common citizen is always welcome.
The postal address of the college is :
AKI’s Poona College of Arts, Science and Commerce,
New Modikhana, Bhavani Peth,
Map of Location
A location map is available on our website
10.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. –– Monday to Friday (except on public holidays).
10.00 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. –– Saturday
7.20 a.m. to 5.40 p.m. –– Monday to Saturday (in accordance to time table).
A three level system is followed viz. Departmental, Staff Council and Governing Body, as follows:
Matters pertaining to allocation of workload among the teachers and staff, pattern of assignments, in house exam question papers etc. are resolved in Departmental meetings. The decisions of the meetings are maintained by the concerned departmental head. Grievances if any are addressed at these meetings.
Matters pertaining to college as a whole viz. introduction/deletion of courses, short term courses, organization of cultural/extra curricular activities etc. The Staff Council comprises of the Principal and teaching faculty.
Governing Body (GB)
Matters pertaining to academic, administrative and financial decisions are taken by the Governing Body in consultation with the Principal. Academic decisions related to introduction/deletion of Courses, recommendations received from Staff Council etc. are placed before the Governing Body for approval. Administrative decisions may relate to creation of new posts, approval of selection committees, grant of study/extraordinary leave, promotions etc. Financial decisions relate to approval of budgets, revision of fees, management of Provident Fund, audit of accounts etc. Grievances may be referred to the GB for redressal as the final arbiter.
Section 4 (1) (b) (ii) / Manual – 2: Powers and Duties of Officers and Employees
- The Principal is the principal-academic and chief executive officer of the college. He is responsible for administration, organization, instruction and management of affairs of the college, as stipulated in University Calendar / Ordinance.
- Powers and duties of other authorities including faculty / administration, library and laboratory staff are also in accordance to the laid down rules and regulations of the University as stated in the University Calendar.
Section 4 (1) (b) (iii) / Manual – 3: Procedure followed to take a decision on various matters
- Decisions in organizing admissions, seminar, sports, extra-curricular activities, allocation of its work to teachers, preparation of time-table, guidelines for purchase of library books and lab. equipments are framed by Staff Council as prescribed in its Ordinances, Statutes, etc.
- The College functions under the supervision and control of the College Governing Body.
Section 4 (1) (b) (iv) / Manual – 4: Norms set by the College for the discharge of its functions
- Norms and standards for various activities of the college are set by the competent authority such as the Governing Body and Staff Council.
- The Staff Council is the academic body of the college. It exercises control and general regulation over academic affairs. It is responsible for the maintenance of the standards of instruction, education and examination in the college and other academic matters.
- Norms and standards for various academic activities are set by the Academic Council and Executive Councils of Savitribai Phule Pune University , Staff Council and Governing Body of the College.
Section 4 (1) (b) (v) / Manual – 5: Rules, regulations and instructions used
- Statutes of the College as contemplated under Ordinance in University Calendar.
- Regulations / instructions for admission regarding all the courses (under-graduate/ postgraduate) in accordance with Savitribai Phule Pune University notification / Staff Council Resolutions.
- University Non-teaching Employees (Terms & Conditions of Service) Rules, 1971.
- Various rules / instructions of the Savitribai Phule Pune University concerning personnel management for the teaching and non-teaching staff and adopted by the Governing Body.
- Fundamental Rules and Supplementary rules of Government of India except where the University has its own provisions with regard to teaching and non-teaching staff.
Section 4 (1) (b) (vi) / Manual – 6: Official documents and their availability
- The college Timetable
- Examination Schedules
- Scholarship Notices
- Administrative Notices
- Students, Attendance Records
- Students, Internal Assessment Records
- Examination results
These are available on our website and displayed on the College Notice Board.
- The College prospectus regarding admission information are published every year and available on payment from Administrative Office.
- Staff information, College directory available on website as well as from Administrative Office on payment in printed form.
- Matters pertaining to examination (confidential), paper setting, evaluation of scripts and consequent procedures; composition and proceedings of the Selection Committees minutes of the Governing Body and Staff Council until these are printed are confidential.
Section 4 (1) (b) (vii) / Manual – 7: Mode of public participation
- The College Governing Body which supervises the affairs of the College has some members who are eminent personalities of the Society and representatives of the public.
- Besides College holds public interaction/open session at the time of admission.
- The College Complaint Committee has representatives from the public.
Section 4 (1) (b) (viii) / Manual – 8: Councils, Committees, Faculties, Departments, etc. under the College
A statement of boards, council committees and other bodies constituted:
- The College Governing Body as per University Calendar / Ordinance.
- Staff Council as per University Calendar / Ordinance.
- Staff Council Committees.
- College Complaint Committee (Sexual Harassment)
Section 4 (1) (b) (ix) / Manual – 9: Directory of officers and employees
- Directory of officers and employees is available on our website.
Section 4 (1) (b) (x) / Manual – 10: Monthly remuneration received by each of its employee
- The pay scales of various teaching and non-teaching staff are as prescribed by the University Grants Commission / Savitribai Phule Pune University and adopted by the College.
Section 4 (1) (b) (xi) / Manual – 11: Budget allocated to each agency
- The budget and the financial estimates are as approved by the Governing Body and presented before the University/UGC for approval/sanction.
Section 4 (1) (b) (xii) / Manual – 12: Manner of execution of subsidy programmes
Section 4 (1) (b) (xiii) / Manual – 13: Concessions granted by the College
- Reservation policies of Government of India in principle as approved by the Savitribai Phule Pune University are followed. Scholarships are given to needy students.
Section 4 (1) (b) (xiv) / Manual – 14: Information available in Electronic form
- All the 17 manuals under RTI and other information about the College are available on the College website.
- Information made publicly available can be accessed at college website.
All the information about the college is available on our website
Section 4 (1) (b) (xv) / Manual – 15: Means, methods and facilities available to citizens for obtaining information
- Unrestricted Access to Website.
- Citizens may submit a written application for information to the Public Information Officer.
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers are available on the Website.
- Public may elicit information via E-Mail to email@example.com
- Through the notice boards, relevant brochures and various other rules which are available in print as well as on the website.
- Some of the publications (i.e. College Prospectus etc.) are priced and can be obtained by paying the stipulated amount.
- Unpriced information for the general public is disseminated occasionally through press releases, advertisements etc. and/or these are available on the college website
Section 4 (1) (b) (xvi) / Manual – 16
Public Information Officer
Mr. M. B. Pathan
, Associate Prof., Department of Statistics, Poona College, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune.
Dr. G. M. Nazeruddin
, Principal / Appellate Authority, Poona College, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune.
Section 4 (1) (b) (xvii) / Manual – 17: Other Useful Information
The person seeking information may apply on a plain paper giving particulars of information being sought and his correct address for communication. Separate application for seeking information on different subjects is required. The application has to be accompanied with the prescribed fee. (At present a fee of Rs. 10/-). The fee is payable with each application which is towards the cost of processing the request
Schedule of fees can be had from the Public Information Officer of the Savitribai Phule Pune University. For the time being the rates are as under:
- Rs. 2/- per page of A-4 or A-5 size.
- Actual cost for sizes bigger than A-4 or A-5.
- In case of printed material, the printed copies could be had from the University sales counter/authorized sales agents on payment.
- In case of photo copies, the rate would be Rs. 2/- per page.
- If information is needed on a disk or floppy subject to availability of information in soft form, the fee will be Rs. 50/- per disk/floppy.
- Admissible records may be allowed to be inspected on payment of requisite fee thereof.
Major portion of information will be available from the University Calendars Volume I & II and other rules as applicable to the University from time to time and printed syllabi for various courses. Some of these are available on the website of the University.